All Dorm Assistant positions are filled for the 2016-17 school year. Check back in 2017 to see if there are positions open for the 2017-18 school year.
Each dorm has three to four Dorm Assistants who work under the direction of a Resident Head, all of them serving together to help dorm life function properly. DA’s take on routine “housekeeping” responsibilities such as conducting weekly room checks, relaying new announcements, or helping students uphold the student life expectations. But the role of Dorm Assistant carries a deeper, more significant shepherding responsibility. Dorm Assistants live in the dorm amongst the students, a situation which allows them to have a richer ministry within the student body. Each DA oversees one wing of students, leading them in bi-weekly prayer/devotional times and making themselves available to them as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
Throughout the year, Dorm Assistants play an active role in student devotional life, Fall and Spring Campus days, sports seasons, and student body activities. They also work with the Dean of AFLBS and the Student Life and Services Coordinator to build and grow the ministry of AFLBS. Specifically, we’re looking for people who would…
- Be a model of all of the student life expectations given to the students.
- Be both approaching and approachable with the AFLBS students.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to interact with the students on their wing.
- Be a loyal supporter and encourager of the AFLBS mission and vision.
- Be a strong communicator to the Resident Head and the AFLBS staff of student concerns and needs.
- Stimulate and model devotional life on your wing.
- Provide updates for the Resident head, informing of student and ministry matters.
- Aid the Resident Heads in performing their duties as needed.
- Assist the Dean, Student Life and Services Coordinator, and RH in keeping the student academically accountable, monitoring mandatory study halls as needed.
- Be on duty (i.e. on campus) for one weekend per month.
- Attend weekly “dorm specific” staff meetings with their Resident Head.
- Attend monthly all-dorm staff meetings.
Dorm Assistant positions are not paid, however, AFLBS provides Dorm Assistants with complimentary room and board as compensation for their time and ministry.
The Dorm Assistant role provides an opportunity for young adult believers who have walked through the two-year journey at AFLBS already to experience life with college students, pass on the wisdom they have acquired, and help direct these students into a deeper relationship with Christ. It also gives them active experience in ministry that they can take with them into any vocation. If you are interested in applying for such a role, please click on the Dorm Assistant Application, which you can print out, complete, and send in to our office for further consideration.
Dorm Assistant Applications are reviewed each spring. Interviews are held with the AFLBS Dean, and the Resident Head. Applicants are typically notified if they are accepted by late spring or early summer.