Schedule a visit to our campus! Tour the school, meet professors, visit with the dean, sit in on classes, and talk with current students. Come see if the Free Lutheran Seminary is where God is calling you.
To set up a visit, call the seminary office at 763-544-9501 or email email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in AFLTS. We would be happy to send you information to help you learn more.
Contact the Seminary Office at 763-544-9501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The standard academic requirement for admission to AFLTS is a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Additionally, spiritual, moral, and personal qualities essential for Christian leaders must also be evidenced in applicants who are admitted. Of utmost importance is the Christian testimony of the applicant and the applicant’s sense of call to the ministry.
Mature older persons without a bachelor’s degree but capable of carrying graduate studies may apply for admittance to the Seminary. Arrangements for such applicants will be made through the Dean of the Seminary.
Students desiring admission to Free Lutheran Seminary should apply at least three months prior to the academic year they expect to enter the seminary. The following materials must be submitted to the seminary office before an interview with the Board of Trustees and faculty can be confirmed: (A routine background check is conducted for all students as part of the application process).
The following must be submitted as part of the application:
- A completed application form. A non-refundable application fee of $45 is to accompany the application for admission.
- A recent photo of the applicant.
- A medical report on a form provided by the seminary.
- Official transcripts. Certified transcripts are required of the student’s academic record at any colleges and other institutions of higher education they have attended. The applicant himself must arrange for each school attended to send an official transcript to the seminary office.
- Two letters of recommendation from pastors, one being his own pastor if possible, and other references as requested. These “recommendation forms” are sent by the applicant to the applicant’s acquaintances for their personal reply directly to the dean’s office.
- Evidence of satisfactory financial credit rating. A statement from the applicant’s bank to the effect that he is a “customer in good standing” is sufficient.
- The applicant’s personal statement. Each prospective student must write a 400-word essay about himself in which the following points are developed: a) one’s spiritual autobiography (which would include one’s sense of calling to serve in the ministry), b) one’s church background in terms of denominational affiliations and previous opportunities for Christian service, and c) the applicant’s expectations in pursuing seminary education at AFLTS.
Each applicant and wife, if married, will be interviewed by the Board of Trustees and faculty before acceptance. All acceptances are for a one year probationary period, and will be reviewed after the student has spent one year at the seminary. A student who, in the opinion of the faculty and Board of Trustees, proves unsuited for the Christian ministry may be dismissed at any time.
To request an application, call 763-544-9501 or send an email to email@example.com.
The Free Lutheran Seminary is authorized under Federal law to enroll international students under the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS). In addition to the regular application materials and steps listed under “Admission Procedures” that must be submitted by May 1, are the following requirements:
- Completion of the “International Application Form,” accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $300.
- Return of a signed copy of the “International Student Covenant.”
- Completion of a TOEFL exam (score of 500 or more) for applicants from non-English speaking countries.
- Submission of evidence of financial support. This may be either a financial guarantor in the United States or sufficient evidence from a responsible individual or organization that the necessary travel expenses and means of support while in attendance at Free Lutheran Seminary can be met.
Contact the seminary office at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about international student procedures or to request an international student application.
Students who enroll for less than 12 semester hours of classes are classified as part-time students. Tuition is charged on the basis of $350 per credit hour. Those who enroll for four credits or less must complete a part-time application form and submit transcripts of all post-high school courses completed. The regular application fee applies for the part-time application. All other part-time and applicants must complete the regular application process outlined under “Admission Procedures.”
To request a part-time application, call 763-544-9501 or email email@example.com.
Students transferring from other seminaries may be accepted with advanced standing, provided they apply for admission in the usual way, and present a completed transcript together with a catalog describing the courses of their previous seminary studies.
In evaluating transcripts, no credit will be granted for courses receiving a grade of less than “C” or its equivalent. Grade point averages (GPA) for graduation will be based only upon work done at AFLTS.
Transfer students must have at least a “C” average and be in good standing at the previous school attended in order to qualify for admission to AFLTS. Credit is given for work satisfactorily completed in recognized schools, provided these courses correspond to the AFLTS curriculum. Transfer students must spend at minimum of one year at AFLTS and earn a minimum of 48 semester credits in residence to be awarded a degree.
AFLTS seeks to provide an excellent theological education at reasonable cost. Tuition and fees are kept as low as possible.
Tuition and Fees (2016-17 year):
Tuition per semester (full-time) – $5440
Part-time tuition – $350 per credit hour
Auditing rate – $185 per credit hour
Library fee (per semester) – $290
Textbooks – approx. $800 per year
Campus Housing Costs:
Housing fee – approx. $800 per month
Utilities – approx. $150 per month
AFLTS does its best to secure scholarship aid for students who need assistance. Students may apply for tuition scholarships at the beginning of each semester. A student’s academic standing and his financial resources and needs will be taken into consideration in assessing all applications. Students classified as “regular” students are eligible for a “Grant-in-Aid” from the seminary each semester if needed.
Several scholarship funds have been established by the Free Lutheran Seminary to aid its students financially.
See the AFLTS Catalog for more information on scholarships and financial aid.